We live in an era of fast paced environment and everyone wants high productivity at all costs . But what we forget is after all we are humans and we have our own limits. Limit of getting things done, limit of acting towards issues or limit of thinking. Yes , We have a limit set for thinking too. Amazed knowing this ! Let me explain how!
Suppose you met a person today in a shopping mall and he / she is your mother’s friend. You both had a conversation for a while and then he/she left. In between your conversation you said something which you should not or was irrelevant or awkward.
Then the whole day you tried to recall the conversation and tried to find out is there any sort of possibility of words/sentences you used which might kick you in to any problematic situation? Yes , You rehearsal the whole meet again and again on your own just because of any single mistakenly uttered word and that’s what Overthinking. Overthinking is nothing but thinking too much.
Table of Contents
Now the question is why people over-think?
Human brain is the most complicated machine ever derived. We really can not examine why and how things come in to our mind . But some times we use our brain in concentrating on a particular thing or problem for a long time. usually everyone do this sometimes.
Research says that women are more likely to be over-thinker in comparison to men , but truth is that every single person overthinks sometimes. Over-thinking is that state of mind when we concentrate on our problems more, than finding solutions for it.
Overthinking can happen due to 2 most common reasons:
- We think about our past a lot.
- We are worried for our future.
How to know you are over-thinking?
Although the thought process occurs in our subconscious mind , but there are some signs of overthinking:
- Unable to get good sleep.
- Trying to find other possible meaning in things people say or about any happened event.
- Trying to remember or recall about conversation you had with any person and wishing you had not do or say like that.
- Feeling guilty for done mistakes repeatedly.
- Trying to getting everything under your control.
How to stop over-thinking?
If you find out that you are over-thinking then don’t panic .
There are many ways to control our thinking process , all we have to do is execute it and practice it.
Some effective ways to stop over-thinking:
- First of all notice when you think too much :
- Get to know when and for which things you think much can help you in averting your mind from doing so.
- Plan & limit time to worry :
- This might seem funny but is the most effective way to reduce thinking much, Just plan a time when you will worry for your problems or will recall bad events.Planning and adding limitation to your thinking will help you in think less about the problem.
- Distract your thought and do something else :
- When you are setting your time to think and you realize you are thinking more than you actually should, distract your thought and do something else and keep your brain busy in those stuffs.
- Watch your favorite show or listen to some good music :
- Watching your favorite show makes your brain busy in those things and do not get time to think about other things. Music is also the best solution for it. Give it a try !
- Do meditation :
- Meditation is the best medicine for anxiety and over-thinking. When we meditate our senses get relaxation and brain also makes itself calm. It can reduce stress, controls anxiety, and gives the capability of self-analysis.
- Write Something :
- last but not the least you can write something. whether related to your problems or solution for it, just write.Writing down helps in keeping our brain busy and gives chances to get fresh ideas. So write down your thoughts and keep you brain entertained.
So from now on wards stop overthinking and start controlling your thoughts. Brain is slave to body , Never let it master You.
For more articles click here.