The novel Corona Virus has become the Headlines now. It continues to make the news since it declared as Pandemic by The World Health organisation (WHO) on March 11.
Romours about the Virus is spreading at the speed of blink of eyes in present time. Many of us are becoming Doctors and giving different statements about COVID-19. But how many are rechecking the facts against those myths ?
Here, l address some of the myths vs facts about Corona Virus-COVID-19
Table of Contents
- 1 1. Exposing Yourself to Sun or to Temperature Higher than 25C degrees Prevents the corona virus disease (COVID-19).
- 2 2. Being able to hold your breath for 10 secs or more without coughing or feeling uncomfortable means you are free from COVID-19 or any other lung diseases.
- 3 3. Drinking Alcohol can Protect you against corona virus COVID-19
- 4 4. COVID-19 virus can’t be spread with hot and humid climate
- 5 5. Cold weather and snow can kill the COVID-19 virus
- 6 6. Taking a Hot bath can prevent from the new COVID-19
- 7 7. COVID-19 can spread though mosquito bites
- 8 8. Hand dryers are effective in killing the novel corona virus
- 9 9.Ultraviolet disinfection lamp kills the new coronavirus
- 10 10. Spraying chlorine or alcohol all over body can kill the COVID-19
- 11 11. Vaccine against Pneumonia can protect you from COVID-19
- 12 12. Eating garlic helps in preventing with the new corona virus
- 13 13. COVID-19 affects older person, not the younger one
- 14 14. Face mask can protect you from the virus
- 15 15. Getting COVID-19 is a death sentence
- 16 16. Vitamin C supplements will help you from catching Corona virus infection
- 17 17. If you have corona , you will know
- 18 18. Thermal scanner detects people infected with COVID-19
- 19 19. Pets can spread the new virus COVID-19
- 20 20. It’s not safe to receive any packages from China
- 21 Final Words
1. Exposing Yourself to Sun or to Temperature Higher than 25C degrees Prevents the corona virus disease (COVID-19).
There is no evidence that the COVID-19 virus can’t spread in sunny area or temperature higher than 25c degrees. It can catch you no matter what is the weather. According to WHO , Countries those have hot weather have also reported cased of COVID-19.
2. Being able to hold your breath for 10 secs or more without coughing or feeling uncomfortable means you are free from COVID-19 or any other lung diseases.
No, holding your breath for a longer time can cause harm to your health. Never try this to self check. The common symptoms of this novel virus are fever, dry cough and tiredness. In rare cases it develops symptoms like Pneumonia. Holding your breath can never make you sure about the deadly virus rather you may face dangerous situation.
3. Drinking Alcohol can Protect you against corona virus COVID-19
Consuming Alcohol is never a good thing for our health. There is no such ingredients in alcohol that will help you preventing from any virus. Rather it will make you sick.
4. COVID-19 virus can’t be spread with hot and humid climate
The novel virus can spread despite of any weather no matter how hot and humid it is. Cases from countries with hot climate are the proves that the virus can be transmitted in all areas.
5. Cold weather and snow can kill the COVID-19 virus
As stated above , the virus doesn’t care about the weather and can spread regardless any weather type. The normal body temperature of human body remains around 36.5 C to 37 c, regardless the external temperature and climate. So there is no reason to believe that the novel virus can be killed by cold weather.
6. Taking a Hot bath can prevent from the new COVID-19
Our body temperature does not make any changes when we have a hot or cold bath. so, there is no sense of thinking that hot bath can prevent you from getting the corona virus.
7. COVID-19 can spread though mosquito bites
Till now there is no such evidence or information that the new corona virus could be transmitted by mosquitoes. The virus spreads through droplets generated by the infected person coughs or sneezes, or droplets of the saliva or nose discharge.
8. Hand dryers are effective in killing the novel corona virus
No, hand dryers are not effective in killing the new COVID-19
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation is not good for our skin. It may causes skin irritation. It doesn’t protect or kills the COVID-19 virus.
10. Spraying chlorine or alcohol all over body can kill the COVID-19
Chlorine and alcohol based substances are used to clean the surfaces. If the virus has already entered to your body then no such things can work on you. Spraying such substances are also harmful if it comes in contact with our eyes and mouth.
11. Vaccine against Pneumonia can protect you from COVID-19
Vaccines against pneumonia, such as pneumococcal vaccine and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib) vaccine, do not provide protection against the new coronavirus. As per WHO The virus is so new and different that it needs its own vaccine. Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine against 2019-nCoV.
12. Eating garlic helps in preventing with the new corona virus
No doubt garlic is healthy food but there is no evidence that the new virus can be prevented by eating garlic.
13. COVID-19 affects older person, not the younger one
Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as heart disease, asthma, diabetes) are more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus. But it doesn’t mean that younger people can’t get ill with the virus. People of all ages can get infected by the nCOV-2019.
14. Face mask can protect you from the virus
Face masks are better for protecting our face from pollution. If you are healthy, you need not to wear mask until you are taking care of any suspect or patient of COVID-19 infection or you , yourself is having cough or sneezing. Only mask is not enough to get prevented from the virus. Regular hand washing and rubbing hands with alcohol based sanitizer is much necessary. If you are using face mask , learn how to use and dispose it properly.
15. Getting COVID-19 is a death sentence
As of now more than 38000 people around globe are killed by the novel corona virus. People are getting infected from the COVID-19 rapidly and it has spread to near about 200 countries till date. The rapid growing numbers of confirmed cases has set a fear in everyone’s mind. But it doesn’t mean that getting COVID-19 infection means death sentence. People getting cured of the disease. But, as of now there is no specific medicine for 2019 n-COVID, it is suggested to maintain hygiene and social distancing is the only way to prevent it.
16. Vitamin C supplements will help you from catching Corona virus infection
Vitamin C is effect in common cold, but n-COVID19 is not like common flu. So, it is not at all effective is preventing Coronavirus.
17. If you have corona , you will know
Novel corona virus is from the existing coronavirus family but its completely new to human. No body knows how long does it take to affect the body and show symptoms. some may get the symptoms with in 7 to 14 days and other differs from the same pattern. Ofcourse you can differentiate common flu or cold with corona virus infection. But self check or diagnose is completely unadvisable. Contact your doctor if you find any COVID-19 symptoms.
18. Thermal scanner detects people infected with COVID-19
Fever and high temperature is one of the symptoms of the novel corona virus. So, government is using the thermal scanning just to know whether you have high temperature or not. There is no such point to think, thermal scanner detects the n-COVID 2019 infection. there are specific ways to test the same.
19. Pets can spread the new virus COVID-19
As per WHO, there is no evidence that companion animals, including pets, can spraed COVID-19. Corona viruses are a large family of virus. Some causes disease in human, while other causes certain illness in certain animals like, camel, cattle and bats.
20. It’s not safe to receive any packages from China
Corona viruses can not survive longer on any objects, such as letter or packages. So, it is safe to receive such things from China.
The virus is very new to humans and experts are trying their best to invent the medicines for the same. Government is taking all necessary action to prevent it from spreading . We, the people plays an important role here. Let’s maintain all set of rules made by our Government and not spread or believe any kind of myths or rumors about n-COVID 2019.
#stayhome #savelives #IndiaFightAgainstCorona
(The article is updated on 01.04.2020)
To know important things about Corona virus click here.